1. No one was angry enough to speak out. – Inscription on an Egyptian pyramid, quoted by Robert F Kennedy
2. Silence is the voice of complicity. – American saying
3. Open your mouth, judge righteously, maintain the rights of the poor and needy. – Bible, Proverbs 31:9
4. There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. – Eli Wiesel
5. We who have a voice must speak for the voiceless. – Archbishop Oscar Romero
6. The polite conspiracy of silence that has tended to prevail in the last quarter century in Washington. – James Reston
7. He who does not bellow the truth when he knows the truth makes himself the accomplice of liars and forgers. – Charles Peguy
8. In Germany they came first for the Communist, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist. Then they came for the Jews and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn’t speak up because I was Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up. – Martin Niemoeller
9. Silence is the first thing within the power of the enslaved to shatter. From that shattering, everything else spills forth. – Robin Morgan
10. It is impossible to remain silent in the face of tyranny with, by this very act of silence, becoming an agent of that tyranny. – Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson
11. The true crime, the collective, general crime of almost all Germans of that time [i.e. Nazi period] was that of lacking the courage to speak. – Primo Levi
13. The day we see truth and cease to speak is the day we begin to die. – Martin Luther King
14. I may be arrested, I may be tried and thrown into jail, but I never will be silent. – Emma Goldman
15. Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly. – Mohandas Gandhi
If you like this article, check out our 10 Zen Quotes.
Leslie, Inc. offers solutions for finding happiness through one-on-one coaching, mindful leadership retreats, and digital products. If you’re ready to GET HAPPY, check out Leslie’s guide packs. For more tips on achieving your state of happiness, sign up for Leslie, Inc’s weekly newsletter.